Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sha Na Na Na Na Na Na Na!!!!!






I just got done with my 4-day volunteer visit in Camoapa, Boaco (Cam-wap-o, Bwa-co) with a very friendly volunteer who has just hit her one year mark. It was really cool getting to see the projects she was involved in, and how she interacts with the community. However, it also reinforced the fact that machismo exists in every town, no matter how long you have lived there. Looks like I am just going to have to get used to cat calls for the next 2 years.
One of the funniest parts of this mini-adventure was when I was listening in on the volunteer and her counterpart making the lesson plan. I got distracted because somewhere in the distance, and by distance I mean right outside the classroom, I could have sworn I heard Guns N´Roses... next thing I know, 6 male students just bust out singing "Welcome to the Jungle".... quite accurately I might add. Apparently 80´s rock music didn´t just inspire Americans. So, Guns N´ Roses, the Nicas solute you!
I have posted some pics of Camoapa (it´s green there...shocking), my host-volunteer´s kitchen, and my personal favorite: Sharron´s (pronounced Cha-rrrr-on) birthday party. PiƱatas are very popular here, but the catch is, you have to dance for a few minutes, take a swing, dance some more, swing, dance... you get the picture. I´ll be honest, I was extremely entertained.
Now back to my normally abnormal life in Nicaragua. Love to all!
aleia

5 comments:

  1. as usual, nice pics, great story and a good time sounds like, with music! Nice! I find it "hard" to believe you were entertained by dancing of a small child, NOT...learning comes in many forms it does, (very Yoda like) anyway, keep the info coming. love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you 80s music with bring world peace. And to think how much preparation we've had with hairforce, 80's and gentlemen, and metalhead. two words you're welcome ;)I love the pinata story, so cute :) thanks for posting pictures! Love ya. I can't believe that I have survived a whole month without you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets be real who hasn't Guns N Roses inspired? I mean seriously. So should I send you a cd or cassette tape full of 80s rock songs that way you will instantly become everyone's favorite? Or is that cheating? Thanks for the great idea for your coming home party......a pinata. That you have to swing....dance.....swing (and jump it will be high haha)....dance...etc. I mean I already make people dance to get in my car why should pinata hitting get a break? As far as the cat calls go Aleai, you are just going to have to get used to it eventually I mean you got them here in the states from Marcie and Me the dudes in Nicaragua are just seeing what Marcie and I saw every day and couldn't stay away from. ;)

    Wow sidebar, the security code thing you are supposed to add before you submit, just said "swine".....what the hell is that supposed to mean computer? HUH? You wanna fight!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom - Thanks Yoda. Love you too.
    Marcie - Don´t worry, we will be reunited soon wifey. And those 80´s dance clubs were definitely worth it... thanks.
    Mandy poo - hahaha. My vote is on the computer... and I prefer your cat calls over these ones =) keep rockin... love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have to say to you thinking the computer would beat me is..."That is a joke because..........I THROW IT ON THE GROUND!!!"

    ReplyDelete